With dating comes milestones. The first kiss. The very first time they use the heart emoji inside a text. The first month anniversary. Around we maybe try to brush them off, when you are excited about a new relationship milestones matter.
In an attempt to reveal the significance of relationship milestones, premium dating site EliteSingles asked 1,900 individuals to spill the beans on their own favorite firsts. They asked respondents whether they think it's romantic to celebrate romantic milestones with a partner. The good news is that an overwhelming majority – 94% – believe it is.
Here are a few more interesting takeaways in the survey.
Milestones really are a manifestation of a significant relationship.
The next question was whether romantic milestones suggest you are in a serious relationship with someone. Similar to the previous answer, 82% of these surveyed said they signify a meaningful bond, with just 18% suggesting they do not. Actually, 84% of participants reported that celebrating these moments really are a sign that you're deeply in love with your partner (the other 16% reasoning that they can be unromantic).
However, don't post about those milestones on social networking.
While celebrating milestones with the person you're dating is growing rapidly considered romantic, you might want to keep things between only the both of you. A majority 77% of those surveyed asserted sharing romantic milestones on social media is really a serious no-no. From the 23% who were OK with sharing, 15% said they'd post them when they weren't weird, whereas 7% said they should be shared regardless. Avid social media users be aware! Even if you wish to share the moment your lover met your dog the very first time, your pals are probably less keen to get a play by play account of the relationship.
Lesser known milestones count too.
With that said, relationship milestones do not have to involve big life events to become celebrated. There are lots of seemingly small everyday moments that matter in relationships.
Want to impress your brand-new partner and show them you're all theirs? Based on the survey, 56% of respondents asserted deleting your dating apps out of your smartphone was their top not-so-obvious relationship milestone. 42% asserted leaving your fingers at your partner's place was their biggest deal, while 40% said showering together was their most widely used lesser-known milestone.
Getting clean together is the way to a man's heart.
Gender played a huge role here. 64% of women consider deleting your dating apps the most important not-so-obvious milestone, compared to just 36% of men. Interestingly enough, men found shared hygiene moments the most impactful. Most men (59%) asserted working out together was more essential to them, accompanied by showering together (57%).
Saying “I love you” trumps everything.
So, exactly what do people as the most significant dating milestones? When inspired to choose the most significant milestones you can tell the person you're dating, 61% of respondents agreed that “saying I really like you” is easily the most significant relationship milestone. It was followed by “meeting one another's families” (50%) and “moving in together” (40%).
Meeting the household and relocating together are apparently necessary for milestones because they outscored the very first kiss (37%) and becoming married (36%)! There wasn't much variation if this came to gender differences. However, 40% in men did state that the first sleepover was their most significant milestone, compared to just 24% of women.
So, when in the event you say the l-word?
Another interesting discovery: when it comes to saying those all-important three words, women and men were split. On the third of women (36%) would wait up to six months to inform their partner they're in love, whilst 32% would keep it within the three-month mark. Only 10% would say a hasty “I love you” within a month, whilst (5%) would hold back until annually had passed.
Men are (perhaps surprisingly) much faster around the draw. When asked, 34% of men would declare their love within 3 months, while 22% of fellas would wait up to 6 months. However, one in four (26%) men would be happy to profess love within a month. Going by exactly what the girls have to state, if you are one of these guys, it might be worth holding off a little!