Those singles considering making fitness their top goal for 2022 might want to reconsider: a new joint global survey by premium dating site EliteSingles, and Babbel, the world's top-grossing learning app, reveals that fitness and appears aren't as important as language and personality. If you're already stressed about not making it to a fitness center often enough, the good thing is that nearly all (91 percent) the respondents said they'd would rather date someone with foreign language and conversational skills over one having a six-pack.
The survey of 6,000 Babbel and EliteSingles users in 11 countries demonstrated that 75 percent of individuals say learning a new language might make you more attractive in general. Strangely enough, in Canada, this really is much more pronounced: a whopping 82 percent of the Canadian Anglophones surveyed say they find the capability to speak another language attractive.
The advantages of being multilingual are extremely clear that four in five (80 %) would use their vocabulary skills to thrill to start dating ? and two thirds (65 percent) would learn a language to enhance their love lives. Women are in front of the curve with regards to New Year's resolutions, with more than half (52 percent) having pledged to understand a brand new language in 2022, when compared with only one in five (21 percent) men.
So, the facts about being able to speak another language that makes a potential partner so attractive? Well, laptop computer revealed some interesting results.
- Thirty-five percent of respondents said they find other cultures interesting, which is why to start dating ? that speaks another language is really attractive to them. It seems sensible — being able to speak another language indicates that this person probably has a world-view that extends beyond their very own little bubble. There is a pretty good possibility that they have traveled and have experienced cultural traditions which are not the same as your own — which is extremely appealing if you're looking for someone that's worldly and well-rounded.
- Twenty percent of people reported they simply like the sound of another language. Makes sense. It can be the novelty factor, but accents and languages apart from our own just sound sexier — a reality that inspired many Taster Choice commercials within the 80's and 90's. It's area of the reason why we swoon over guys like Javier Bardem, Benicio Del Toro and Colin Firth (for starters).
- A further 20 % believe that vocabulary skills demonstrate intelligence inside a partner. Whether it's speaking an overseas language or just being in a position to communicate without typing LYKE DIS LOL, the opportunity to communicate well is really a sign of both emotional and intellectual intelligence — both of which are really attractive.
I also provide another one to add to the list:
- Whether it's preserving a mother tongue (when not English) or learning a new language, taking this on needs a certain level of commitment. The individual needs to make a conscious effort to make use of their other vocabulary skills — as well as in the situation of learning something new, take classes, practice and improve. Being able to commit to this ongoing process shows strength of character.
So what language should we be learning? When inspired to rank the best looking languages, Canadians said French (54 percent) was the clear winner, accompanied by Spanish (38 percent), and Italian (24 percent). Accents were popular too: the best looking accent to Canadian ears is French (39 percent), accompanied by Spanish (33 percent), Irish (29 percent), Italian (28 percent) and Australian (27 %).
“Being in a position to communicate is prime to human interaction,” explains Joseph Troutt, Babbel Country Manager for Canada. “That's why we created our courses to obtain people speaking in the very start. It's no surprise that in 2022, within the global society that people all reside in, being able to speak other languages is such an important quality inside a partner. Babbel is here to help individuals improve themselves – and when which means their love lives too, then that's great.”
Sophie Watson, spokesperson for EliteSingles, agreed, saying that “connection and great communication are essential areas of a first date – especially if you want to land another one.'' She adds ''this survey would go to prove what we and our members have long known – your body's most attractive muscle is the mind!”
So, just how can singles capitalize on this new data? Well, there is a few things:
- If you speak another language or are learning a replacement, bring it up in your internet dating profile.
- If you have an accent, consider mentioning that too. (When understanding individuals other countries, I usually point out that I have a “dorky Canadian accent” before we speak on the telephone. I disclose this so you don't be surprised, however many people think it is very charming.)
- Sign up for language classes! If you have been attempting to brush up in your senior high school Spanish, what are you awaiting? You won't just improve your vocabulary skills, you might just meet other like-minded singles in the process.
- No time for classes? Add a language learning app like Duo Lingo to your phone and learn a few something totally new while you're waiting in line at Starbucks.
At no more your day it's all about “the more knowledge you have.” Researching a new language or culture not just expands your worldview, it makes a more well-rounded, attractive person.