Dating and food. Unless you've committed to exclusively happening “liquid-only dates,” eventually you're going to find yourself in times where on your table on the date. In the end, meals are an essential part of being human and all of those endless latte/beer dates eventually get old.
When you are looking at eating on the date, there are plenty of so-called “rules” that have been thrown around over the years – some more practical than others. For instance, “Women should always allow the man order on their behalf,” (um, no thanks) and “Don't order a huge rack of ribs with extra sauce after which force your salad-loving date to look at you eat them,” (not the worst idea.) We're residing in a period when it seems like all of the old rules are up for debate. So, what's the current dating etiquette with regards to food?
To get to the bottom of the food-dating etiquette debate, GrubHub and Tinder partnered together. They surveyed over 2,000 people in the United States and asked about expected food etiquette throughout the first three dates. Rosette Pambakian, Vice President of worldwide Communications and Brand for Tinder, said, “The findings are interesting and highlight the key role food plays in dating.”
Here are a couple of the top findings and what they are saying about the state of contemporary dating.
1. Go on and order the steak.
According to GrubHub and Tinder's research, singles tend to order heartier meals. Instead of calorie counting, 62 percent of participants prefer to order fuller meals instead of their lighter counterparts. This statistic filled me with joy since it implies that people aren't holding when it comes to their diet (ie. ordering the paltry garden salad in lieu of the delicious enchiladas) since they are scared of what their date might think. If you would like the enchiladas, order the enchiladas!
Food is something that i am really passionate about and that i always hope that my date will have the same way. I want us both to feel at ease enough to enjoy ourselves – copious levels of salsa verde and all sorts of. I'm glad I am not alone who feels by doing this. Plus, if the date is under awesome, at least you'll be able to say that you ate something delicious, right? In case your date gets all judge-y about your food choices, it's a sign that you shouldn't go out with them again.
2. Splitting the bill will go either way.
Although it certainly is nice when a guy treats me to dinner or drinks, it isn't mandatory. Sometimes it's nice to simply split the balance because then there's no feeling of obligation (particularly if you're not sure you need to see the body else again.) With that said, regardless of what the problem, I usually offer to pay my share from the bill. It appears as though who pays the balance continues to be up for debate. According to the survey, only 36 percent of respondents would eliminate another date when the other person didn’t offer to pay for and 64 percent said hello would not be an issue.
3. Sharing is caring …sort of.
Your date keeps stealing food off of your plate, where do you turn? According to the survey results, 31 percent of respondents would be offended, whereas 69 percent could be totally up for sharing. That one interesting because so much depends on context. Are my date and that i sharing a bowl of guacamole and chips, or perhaps is he literally reaching onto my plate with his fork to steal the filling from my enchiladas? Also, is this the first date or even the third? Sharing food is very intimate. Basically haven't kissed someone yet (and enjoyed it,) I certainly do not want their fork digging into my queso. Just saying.
As a guide, the very best course of action is to ask before you share.
4. Avoid using a fork for sushi.
Most of my awkward dining and dating experiences begin and end at sushi restaurants. I suspect it's because as soon as some people go into the doors, they lose all feeling of table manners and/or good judgement. Yes, I'm referring to individuals who try and shove whole pieces of sushi into their mouths or (gasp) eat sushi having a fork. It appears I am not the only person who feels by doing this.
What can you do should you saw your date attempting to consume a Dragon Roll having a fork and knife? Fifty-six percent of respondents said they'd think it is “cringe-worthy,” while 44 percent thought “it’s adorable” to forgo the chopsticks. If understanding how to use chopsticks properly isn't inside your wheelhouse, you might just want to avoid restaurants that need them. Just a thought.
In the finish, this research showed that typical dating norms are changing. Where you eat, the way you eat, the way you dress, the way you meet – these have been in constant flux because of new technology, changing perceptions and cultural shifts, helping relieve a lot of first-date jitters. Chat, figure out what you each like and go out on a date you’ll both enjoy.